Shopping for kids clothes can be a real nightmare. Kids grow up fast, and it gets really hard trying to monitor their current kids clothes size because they keep on changing. It also doesn’t help that there is no required universal children’s clothing size guide that all clothing manufacturers and retailers must follow. To have a fighting chance against this huge predicament, this site provides a helpful guide to finding the right fit for the most common types of kids’ clothes.
Kids Sizes at a Glance
- When it comes to finding the right fit, it’s far better to take your child’s height and weight into consideration than just simply relying on age. However, the best way is to take accurate measurements of your kid’s body using a cloth measuring tape. You may then refer to a size chart to know the corresponding clothing size to your child’s measurements.
- American sizes, along with British and Australian clothing sizes, are traditionally based on age. The rest of Europe, on the other hand, have sizing guides based on height.
- International size conversions are merely approximations as apparel companies tend to make clothes based on their own version of standard sizing.
US Children’s Clothing Size Chart
- In the United States, clothes for toddlers and small children use age to name different size classifications. The sizes are typically based on the weight and height of the child but specific measurements for the chest, waist, and hip are also provided.
- For older kids, the size guide for males is different from the one used for females.
Toddlers & Small Kids Sizing Chart
The chart below provides an overview to US sizes for young children, boys and girls. The clothing sizes are determined by weight in pounds and height in inches. The “T” found next to size numbers stands for “Toddler.” For this age group, the size guide for boys and girls is the same because children have yet to develop masculine or feminine body shapes at this point in their lives.6 Sizes only start to separate by gender after size 6X.
Clothing Size Charts for Girls
Measurements aside from weight are more useful in figuring out the clothing size of older children. In fact, the body proportions of children in this age group are so varied that some brands have even made further distinctions between tall-, regular-, and plus-sized children. Determining clothing sizes for girls are even more difficult since their body parts like the chests and hips develop at different paces.
Children’s Jeans & Pants Size Charts
To find well-fitting pants or jeans for your child, measure the fullest part of his hips, his natural waist (near the bellybutton), his inseam (situated along the inside leg; measured from the center of the crotch to the floor), and his height. Match your child’s measurements to the specific size charts of the clothing brand you patronize. Options are not limited to regular sizes. Some retailers offer slim sizes as well as plus (“husky” for boys) sizes. The ideal pants should not pucker around the crotch area and must have extra breathing room around the waist.
So, refer to this children’s clothing size chart guide before you start shopping.